Today, Bluebirds experienced a new activity in Guided Reading, where they took part in Karaoke Comprehension which used the song entitled “This is Me” from the recent film, The Greatest Showman. Many of the children were already familiar with the song so it was really enjoyable. The children sang along with the lyrics which they were able to answer questions about afterwards.
• What is the message of the song? – Katerina explained the bearded woman knew she was unusual how she looked but she didn’t care and was proud of her self.
• Why do you think the title for the song is “This is Me?” – Evie explained the lady was singing about being accepted for what she was although she looked different.
• What do you think the words “broken parts” and “scars” refer to? – Megan – She is hurt from what has happened in the past. It is not easy to forget when people say/do hurtful thing to you.
• During the song the singer is supported by a choir. Why? Melissa – She felt scared but is brave her as other people with differences join and support her. They work together as a team.
• Why does she feel ashamed? – Niah – She used to hide away. People stared at her because she was a woman with a beard. She felt awkward and embarrassed.
• How does she feel about the way she is treated? Sophie – She feels unhappy and sad. Its unfair and she feels like standing up for herself.
Bluebirds were eager to hear this term’s Class Reader. Mrs Parry showed the children the accompanying illustrations in the book using her visualiser. Ottoline is clever at solving mysteries and puzzles. The blurb reads……a string of daring burglaries have taken place and precious dogs are disappearing all over the town. Can Ottoline and Mr Munroe come up with a clever plan to catch the robbers?!